ARRIVE: 30 Minutes before game time & get your gear together
COMPLETE: Your Game Form and introduction to the Umpire Advocate.
PRE-GAME (15 minutes before game time):
1. Introduce yourself to both Managers (get plate brush & indicator)
ï‚· Ask: "Who is not eligible to pitch today?" & "Is everyone equipped appropriately?"
ï‚· Inspect bats for LL approval stickers (remove those without stickers from the dugouts)
2. Pregame Meeting (both Managers & Umpire Advocate)
ï‚· Review playing field ground rules (fair/foul territory)
ï‚· Review Player ground rules:
o All offensive players on field wear helmets
o Helmeted offensive player on deck retrieves bats
o Only lead-off batter swings a bat at the start of the inning (no on-deck)
ï‚· Review Manager/Coach ground rules:
o No arguing judgment calls (ball/strike, fair/foul, safe/out, etc.)
o Do not leave the dugout until time-out is granted
o Only the Manager can discuss calls with the umpire (not assistant coaches)
3. Give the Game Form to the Umpire Advocate and Play Ball!
- Less than 2 outs/runners on 1st & 2nd or bases loaded
- Fair fly ball that can be caught with ordinary effort in the infield
- You call, "Infield Fly, batter is out!" or "Infield Fly if Fair!"
- Runner interferes in any way with the fielder attempting to field the ball
- You call "Dead Ball. Interference. Runner is out!"
- With offensive interference you must always call at least one runner out
- Fielder not in possession of the ball impedes the progress of any runner
- Let the play finish, call time out and say, "I’ve got obstruction by _____"
- Award the obstructed runner the base they would have gotten had obstruction not happened
- Thrown ball leaves the playing field (over or under the fence, in the dugout, under backstop)
- Ball is dead
- Award bases on where runners were at the time of the overthrow:
ï‚· Throw from pitcher: 1 base
ï‚· Throw from all others: 2 bases